A lot of the time, people with disabilites get left behind and forgotten about, and quite frankly, not a lot of people care about what people with disabilities have to go through.
On Tuesday, Miguel Luna Perez scored one for the good guys.
Miguel Luna Perez how Perez, under law, is entitled to have aids help him get through school; however, the school district failed to meet that requirement, and there were times Miguel’s help would be a no show.
Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA for short), it is required by law that special needs kids get the extra help that they need
What we have here is a problem. A failure of epic proportion of the education system
There are a few factors why this is a problem.
A lot of people are very ignorant of people with special needs. Also, there not seen as a priority, so there forget about it.
Instead of pushing kids to be the best they can be there given what, in the eyes of other people’s opinion, they can handle.
What’s sad is that there aren’t a lot of people who want to help people with disabilities. Everything that has to do with disabilities plus funding is well short of what it should be.
He was getting back to Miguel’s case. What is incompetent is that his help was stupid on the school district’s part. His aids assigned to him didn’t have training in sign language, and the service they gave him to didn’t always show up.
Despite not having the proper help, he still got A’s and B’s.
Although he got Ace and B’s in his classes, the school told his parents that he would not be getting a diploma which then caused the parent’s school to sue the school district
They put this kid through a lot of unnecessary bullshit.
Where the Supreme Court came in is that Perez wanted compensation for loss of income and emotional distress. In a Supreme Court ruling, Justice Neil Gorsuch ruled in his favor.
This is a real victory for people with disabilities.
I can’t help to think when can people with disabilities get what they’re entitled to have and not get screwed anymore.
Content from NPR was used to write this blog.
- If you’re not driving your electric wheelchair like a Cadilac your wasting your wheelchairFor 35 years I used a manual wheelchair and then when I turned 39 the manual chair that I was using was kinda falling apart and I was up for a new wheelchair anyways. I was looking to get another manual wheelchair but as I got closer to picking out a new wheelchair I kept […]
- Unshoveled snow is ablism, here’s whyit’s unfair for people who use wheelchairs to not have the sidewalk cleared
- Hobby lobby fires women for having a service dog, ends up paying the price for firing womena woman in Oklahoma City gets fired at Hobby Lobby for having a service dog
- Could AI be the future for hospitals, nursing Homesare AI in the future for hospitals
- Jobs that people with disabilities could dofinding a job while you have a disability can be a pain here are a few jobs to consider
- Why Living in a senior citizen’s apartment saved my lifeIn 2006 I was 24. I was in my last year of living in my mom’s house. I remember, just like it was yesterday, my mom’s house was going into foreclosure, and I wasn’t living at home then, leaving my sister and me to live with each other.
- What if NBA players wore wheelchair basketball gearIf NBA players promoted wheelchair basketball on social media with the game progress faster?
- My eating habits as a person with spina bifidaLet’s talk about food and Spina Bifida. When you have Spina Bifida, you have neurogenic bowels and bladder. Having neurogenic bowels is a lot to deal with; it means you have no control, which leads to accidents.
- Is working out necessary for my physical health, or does it help my mental health?Do you ever go to a gym and see a guy with huge muscles or in his element, in his world, while working out, just minding his own business?
- A wheelchair basketball team, Syracuse Flyers, had $15000 worth of wheelchair basketball chairs stolen back in February; media is just now talking about it in Aprila wheelchair basketball team got their chairs stolen and destroyed
- Why is flying the least accessible form of transportation? Why is nothing being done to fix itwhy aren’t airlines embarrassed about the lack of accessibility for people with disabilities?
- How botox changed my life, why it’s the best treatment for incontinencebladder incontinence is embarrassing and tricky to fix but with botox it helps the treatment is next to non
- In tough times in Ukraine, where war ravishes the country, let’s not forget about disabled people affected by warthe war in Ukraine people with disabilities are suffering just like everybody else in the country
- Activities,hotel chains face off in the supreme court over accessibility; who’s right?activists are taking hotels to the Supreme Court over disability access
- What if people with disabilities could use their Medicaid for housing?California want to help people that are on Medicaid to help with housing
- Is religion, Christianity, worth having for people with disabilities?Is church the best fit for people with disabilites?
- People with disabilities rally at the Capitol in Wisconsin to have better legislation for caregiverson Thursday in Wisconsin people with disabilities gathered at the capital to try to come together and solve the caregiver crisis which is also a national crisis
- My heavyweight fight for a better educationto some kids school comes easy rather be high school Elementary or middle school every part of school was tough for me here’s my story as a person with a disability
- If a person doesn’t want to work, Society should let them be; here’s whydon’t ever feel sorry for somebody who has a disability
- Deaf student in Michigan gets okay from the Supreme Court to sue Michigan school system over failure to assist in schoola deaf student in Michigan won a cas in the Supreme unanimously giving him the right to sue because of for loss of income and emotional destress, full story here
Leave a Reply