St Louis public transit agency is cutting funding for its service dial a ride in, which people with disabilities count on for transportation
According to the report, Disability rights advocate groups are calling it cruel because it puts people with disabilities at a disadvantage.
The service is not perfect, however making cuts to services like this one is detrimental to people with disabilies who do not drive.
These cuts are because of staffing issues, which is often the problem when it comes to issues surrounding people with disabilities.
Cutting like these affects the lives of people with disabilities as it can change a person’s livelihood just by having to do the activities of daily living. They say 40% of the position is unfulfilled.
They have had problems fulfilling ride requests as in Just January alone, as 18,000 out of 47,000 requested rides were not fulfilled, presumably because they didn’t have enough staff.
This is a problem not only in St Louis but around the country.
Information from fox2now.com and Missouri independent was used in this blog post.
- If you’re not driving your electric wheelchair like a Cadilac your wasting your wheelchairFor 35 years I used a manual wheelchair and then when I turned 39 the manual chair that I was using was kinda falling apart and I was up for a new wheelchair anyways. I was looking to get another manual wheelchair but as I got closer to picking out a new wheelchair I kept […]
- Unshoveled snow is ablism, here’s whyit’s unfair for people who use wheelchairs to not have the sidewalk cleared
- Hobby lobby fires women for having a service dog, ends up paying the price for firing womena woman in Oklahoma City gets fired at Hobby Lobby for having a service dog
- Could AI be the future for hospitals, nursing Homesare AI in the future for hospitals
- Jobs that people with disabilities could dofinding a job while you have a disability can be a pain here are a few jobs to consider
- Why Living in a senior citizen’s apartment saved my lifeIn 2006 I was 24. I was in my last year of living in my mom’s house. I remember, just like it was yesterday, my mom’s house was going into foreclosure, and I wasn’t living at home then, leaving my sister and me to live with each other.
- What if NBA players wore wheelchair basketball gearIf NBA players promoted wheelchair basketball on social media with the game progress faster?
- My eating habits as a person with spina bifidaLet’s talk about food and Spina Bifida. When you have Spina Bifida, you have neurogenic bowels and bladder. Having neurogenic bowels is a lot to deal with; it means you have no control, which leads to accidents.
- Is working out necessary for my physical health, or does it help my mental health?Do you ever go to a gym and see a guy with huge muscles or in his element, in his world, while working out, just minding his own business?
- A wheelchair basketball team, Syracuse Flyers, had $15000 worth of wheelchair basketball chairs stolen back in February; media is just now talking about it in Aprila wheelchair basketball team got their chairs stolen and destroyed
- Why is flying the least accessible form of transportation? Why is nothing being done to fix itwhy aren’t airlines embarrassed about the lack of accessibility for people with disabilities?
- How botox changed my life, why it’s the best treatment for incontinencebladder incontinence is embarrassing and tricky to fix but with botox it helps the treatment is next to non
- In tough times in Ukraine, where war ravishes the country, let’s not forget about disabled people affected by warthe war in Ukraine people with disabilities are suffering just like everybody else in the country
- Activities,hotel chains face off in the supreme court over accessibility; who’s right?activists are taking hotels to the Supreme Court over disability access
- What if people with disabilities could use their Medicaid for housing?California want to help people that are on Medicaid to help with housing
- Is religion, Christianity, worth having for people with disabilities?Is church the best fit for people with disabilites?
- People with disabilities rally at the Capitol in Wisconsin to have better legislation for caregiverson Thursday in Wisconsin people with disabilities gathered at the capital to try to come together and solve the caregiver crisis which is also a national crisis
- My heavyweight fight for a better educationto some kids school comes easy rather be high school Elementary or middle school every part of school was tough for me here’s my story as a person with a disability
- If a person doesn’t want to work, Society should let them be; here’s whydon’t ever feel sorry for somebody who has a disability
- Deaf student in Michigan gets okay from the Supreme Court to sue Michigan school system over failure to assist in schoola deaf student in Michigan won a cas in the Supreme unanimously giving him the right to sue because of for loss of income and emotional destress, full story here
Leave a Reply