Some Adults with disabilities are often forced to live with their parents in low-income apartments, which are senior citizen apartments when there is not even a senior citizen or, even worst, nursing home.
I know I almost found myself in a nursing home. I was 24 years old and living with my moms. I had nowhere to go because I had a disability and no job on social security. On top of all that, I was dealing with family issues.
Luckily I found a low-income apartment. As I write this, I’m forty and about to turn forty-one. Sure, I’m not a senior citizen, but considering that I almost ended up in a nursing home, this arrangement doesn’t seem that bad.
In California, lawmakers are using Medicaid money for less fortunate people, like people at risk of being homeless. They also want to give people coming out of prison and foster care opportunities to live in their own homes.
Giving people the opportunity to live in a house would, in a way, be a little bit healthier for people with disabilities. When the weather is cold, and you live in a low-income apartment, you are forced to have hot, dry air over you, which causes dry eyes. When the weather is cold, you are forced two inhale unfiltered cold air, which makes you cough. But you could open a window, which would help.
Only two states are expanding Medicaid for such programs (Arizona and Oregon).
Unfortunately, when it comes to Medicaid, it’s on a state-by-state basis. Every state has different rules for what Medicaid covers. I wouldn’t say I like it, as a person born with a disability, I feel everything could be better.
We just had an election not too long ago. This election in the Michigan legislation almost turns entirely democrate.
So far, at least to my knowledge has not had any bill yet proposed that would help people with disabilities. However, there is still time for our state legislators to pass a bill to help people with disabilies; the question is will they make it at priority?
- If you’re not driving your electric wheelchair like a Cadilac your wasting your wheelchairFor 35 years I used a manual wheelchair and then when I turned 39 the manual chair that I was using was kinda falling apart and I was up for a new wheelchair anyways. I was looking to get another manual wheelchair but as I got closer to picking out a new wheelchair I kept […]
- Unshoveled snow is ablism, here’s whyit’s unfair for people who use wheelchairs to not have the sidewalk cleared
- Hobby lobby fires women for having a service dog, ends up paying the price for firing womena woman in Oklahoma City gets fired at Hobby Lobby for having a service dog
- Could AI be the future for hospitals, nursing Homesare AI in the future for hospitals
- Jobs that people with disabilities could dofinding a job while you have a disability can be a pain here are a few jobs to consider
- Why Living in a senior citizen’s apartment saved my lifeIn 2006 I was 24. I was in my last year of living in my mom’s house. I remember, just like it was yesterday, my mom’s house was going into foreclosure, and I wasn’t living at home then, leaving my sister and me to live with each other.
- What if NBA players wore wheelchair basketball gearIf NBA players promoted wheelchair basketball on social media with the game progress faster?
- My eating habits as a person with spina bifidaLet’s talk about food and Spina Bifida. When you have Spina Bifida, you have neurogenic bowels and bladder. Having neurogenic bowels is a lot to deal with; it means you have no control, which leads to accidents.
- Is working out necessary for my physical health, or does it help my mental health?Do you ever go to a gym and see a guy with huge muscles or in his element, in his world, while working out, just minding his own business?
- A wheelchair basketball team, Syracuse Flyers, had $15000 worth of wheelchair basketball chairs stolen back in February; media is just now talking about it in Aprila wheelchair basketball team got their chairs stolen and destroyed
- Why is flying the least accessible form of transportation? Why is nothing being done to fix itwhy aren’t airlines embarrassed about the lack of accessibility for people with disabilities?
- How botox changed my life, why it’s the best treatment for incontinencebladder incontinence is embarrassing and tricky to fix but with botox it helps the treatment is next to non
- In tough times in Ukraine, where war ravishes the country, let’s not forget about disabled people affected by warthe war in Ukraine people with disabilities are suffering just like everybody else in the country
- Activities,hotel chains face off in the supreme court over accessibility; who’s right?activists are taking hotels to the Supreme Court over disability access
- What if people with disabilities could use their Medicaid for housing?California want to help people that are on Medicaid to help with housing
- Is religion, Christianity, worth having for people with disabilities?Is church the best fit for people with disabilites?
- People with disabilities rally at the Capitol in Wisconsin to have better legislation for caregiverson Thursday in Wisconsin people with disabilities gathered at the capital to try to come together and solve the caregiver crisis which is also a national crisis
- My heavyweight fight for a better educationto some kids school comes easy rather be high school Elementary or middle school every part of school was tough for me here’s my story as a person with a disability
- If a person doesn’t want to work, Society should let them be; here’s whydon’t ever feel sorry for somebody who has a disability
- Deaf student in Michigan gets okay from the Supreme Court to sue Michigan school system over failure to assist in schoola deaf student in Michigan won a cas in the Supreme unanimously giving him the right to sue because of for loss of income and emotional destress, full story here
- The highest-rated electric wheelchair on Amazon is $2,499this Ranger porto mobility scooter is $ 2,499.00 on Amazon. would you buy it?
- Leaders in Washington are introducing a bill to help people with disabilities have improved serviceslaw makers in washington could make a law that could be history making for people with disabilites
- St. Louis region’s public transportation to make cuts of there call a ride serviceAccording to the report, Disability rights advocate groups are calling it cruel because it puts people with disabilities at a disadvantage.
- In a report by Disability Scoop, QVC to start selling disability productsshopping network QVC making history for the disabled comunity
- Smart devices are essential for people with disabilities who want to live on their ownApple Google and Amazon have help people with disablilies aid their lives in a positive way by makiking smart devices
- When people with disabilities stop being polite and start getting realpeople with disabilities need to stop being polite and show some nastiness in order to get what they want
- Should we teach every kid about people with special needs in school? Would it helpshould we teach non-disabled kids about people with disabilities in school?
- Should we be afraid of Republicans, is social security safedo people with disabilities need to be worried about the people in Washington?
- Comedian Josh Blue tells the truth through his jokes; the disability community needs to know we all need to laughJosh Blue is a comedian that we all need to admire
- As a person with a learning disability and a physical disability, I wish I read more; here’s whyas a person with spina bifida I wish I had take the initiative in junior high and High School to learn how to read better
- Utah Disability activist Steve Mikita dead at age 67Steve Mikita a Utah Disability activist attorney is dead at age 67
- What society can learn from Judy HeumannJudy Heumann died leaving a legacy we can all learn from #disabilityrights
- Emt’s is one of the worst jobs to go into; here’s whyEMTs deserve better working conditions and way better pay
- Medical transportation for paralyzed users is a severe issue; insurance companies are to blame for the mess that is transportation for the paralyzedWhen I was a kid, like any other kid, my mom drove me everywhere, from doctor appointments to practices for track and field, wheelchair basketball, and parties to family events. Still, when I reached adulthood, transportation became a more serious issue that still affects many paralyzed people who don’t drive. The more critical issue regarding […]
- How to manage to rehab successfully in a nursing homestaying on top of a nursing home staff can be crucial to rehabbing in a nursing home
- How I think hospitals make their moneyhere’s how hospitals can be nothing more than a business
- My name Is John Sikon; here’s how I got my namemy grandfather meant alot to me, he was like a father to me
Leave a Reply