So, as I was born, I had a lot of complications. I was what my mom called a blue baby. What that means is that the imbilicacord was around my neck. I was told that My mom’s original doctor was on a golf course. So that made things rather interesting.
I was told I died multiple times but was brought back to life.
I was diagnosed with spina bifida. I was told that I wouldn’t live past six weeks and if I did was was going to be (in there words) retarted. Well 40 years plus I made it past that.
My grandmother is legit like my second mother. My mom’s husband at the time was not there with my mom, but my grandmother was. It turned out that her husband at the time was not my dad (which was not a bad thing).
I always knew my grandfather cared about me. He was always the for me as an adolescent. My grandpa, sister, and, once in a while, my grandmother would watch sitcoms together.
You see, the reason why I’m talking about my grandfather is that my name comes from him; his name was John Lewis Sikon. My name is John Sterling Sikon.
The name John comes from two different meanings; there’s The biblical meaning, meaning John the Baptist, and there’s John as if I need to go to the John.
I was raised a Christian. My mom and grandmother were Christians as well; as a child, I used to think as a Christian, you’re supposed to love one another. You’re supposed to help one another out. As I got older, I quickly realized what I thought was a Christian and what a Christian was, were two different things.
My grandfather believed in God but didn’t go to church. My grandmother went almost every Sunday. For the most part, I thought church was boring and the people there were weird.
My grandfather meant the whole world to me. Seeing how my biological father didn’t raise me and wasn’t a part of my life, my grandfather was my father figure.
I want to talk about religion more profoundly. So, as I see Christianity, I feel like people use it as an excuse for dumb mistakes. If you get dipped in the water, you’re suddenly forgiven for every stupid thing you’ve done. My grandfather didn’t believe in that; neither have I.
You see, my grandfather sometimes tried things to make my life better. He wasn’t a perfect man, but he, at times, made sure to let me know that he loved me. He’s the only person that made me feel loved. No other person has ever made me feel that way more than my grandfather, John Lewis Sikon.
- Why is flying the least accessible form of transportation? Why is nothing being done to fix itwhy aren’t airlines embarrassed about the lack of accessibility for people with disabilities?
- How botox changed my life, why it’s the best treatment for incontinencebladder incontinence is embarrassing and tricky to fix but with botox it helps the treatment is next to non
- In tough times in Ukraine, where war ravishes the country, let’s not forget about disabled people affected by warthe war in Ukraine people with disabilities are suffering just like everybody else in the country
- Activities,hotel chains face off in the supreme court over accessibility; who’s right?activists are taking hotels to the Supreme Court over disability access
- What if people with disabilities could use their Medicaid for housing?California want to help people that are on Medicaid to help with housing
- Is religion, Christianity, worth having for people with disabilities?Is church the best fit for people with disabilites?
- People with disabilities rally at the Capitol in Wisconsin to have better legislation for caregiverson Thursday in Wisconsin people with disabilities gathered at the capital to try to come together and solve the caregiver crisis which is also a national crisis
- My heavyweight fight for a better educationto some kids school comes easy rather be high school Elementary or middle school every part of school was tough for me here’s my story as a person with a disability
- If a person doesn’t want to work, Society should let them be; here’s whydon’t ever feel sorry for somebody who has a disability
- Deaf student in Michigan gets okay from the Supreme Court to sue Michigan school system over failure to assist in schoola deaf student in Michigan won a cas in the Supreme unanimously giving him the right to sue because of for loss of income and emotional destress, full story here
- The highest-rated electric wheelchair on Amazon is $2,499this Ranger porto mobility scooter is $ 2,499.00 on Amazon. would you buy it?
- Leaders in Washington are introducing a bill to help people with disabilities have improved serviceslaw makers in washington could make a law that could be history making for people with disabilites
- St. Louis region’s public transportation to make cuts of there call a ride serviceAccording to the report, Disability rights advocate groups are calling it cruel because it puts people with disabilities at a disadvantage.
- In a report by Disability Scoop, QVC to start selling disability productsshopping network QVC making history for the disabled comunity
- Smart devices are essential for people with disabilities who want to live on their ownApple Google and Amazon have help people with disablilies aid their lives in a positive way by makiking smart devices
- When people with disabilities stop being polite and start getting realpeople with disabilities need to stop being polite and show some nastiness in order to get what they want
- Should we teach every kid about people with special needs in school? Would it helpshould we teach non-disabled kids about people with disabilities in school?
- Should we be afraid of Republicans, is social security safedo people with disabilities need to be worried about the people in Washington?
- Comedian Josh Blue tells the truth through his jokes; the disability community needs to know we all need to laughJosh Blue is a comedian that we all need to admire
- As a person with a learning disability and a physical disability, I wish I read more; here’s whyas a person with spina bifida I wish I had take the initiative in junior high and High School to learn how to read better
Leave a Reply